Formaldehyde is the simplest member of the aldehyde group and its chemical formula is HCHO. Formaldehyde, although gaseous at room temperature, dissolves well in water.
Formaldehyde is usually marketed as a 37% aqueous solution called formalin. Formaldehyde in polymerized water contains small bonded HCHO monomers. Formalin usually contains a small percentage of methanol to limit polymerization. Formaldehyde has the same properties as other aldehydes.
Used as a precursor in the manufacture of many compounds:
- Production of resins:
- Urea formaldehyde resin
- Melamine formaldehyde resin
- Phenol formaldehyde resin
- In the production of chemicals such as pentaerythritol, hexamine, paraformaldehyde, MDI,. .. is also used.
- Disinfectant solution (due to the elimination of most bacteria)
- To store biological samples
- Formalin to It is widely used in chemical, paint, resin and disinfectant industries in hospitals, animal husbandry centers, contaminated public places, sugar industry, sanitary detergents and other products.
in 20 liter cans, 220 liter barrels and 20-25 ton tankers